Assignment 1 Part 1
In this project we are required to compare any two English language drama series. I chose talks shows as my focus. The talk shows of my choice are The Oprah Winfrey Show and the Jerry Springer Show. I did research on the published materials related to these two TV shows. Besides, I watched a few episodes of these shows in order to find the difference of them both. I did a contrast essay as these two shows displayed great differences in many aspects. I used "one side at a time" technique in my comparison essay. Besides published materials, I also used the online databases to search for suitable materials. I included the reference list in my essay.
Aim
- To understand the concept of a television genre.
- To do a 5 paragraph 600-1000 word comparison/contrast essay of the chosen movie genre based on any two television series of the chosen genre.
- To cite references, if any, according to the APA citation method accurately and effectively.
- To demonstrate the ability to ‘read’ a television series. i.e. to understand and interpret the chosen television series genre.
- To demonstrate the ability to compare/contrast, analyse and synthesize information from two television series in an essay and explain them clearly and logically
- To communicate the relevant ideas in a clear, logical and appropriate academic English.
Reflection
From this project, I learnt to use the correct method in planning my points. I learnt that the influence of TV show is really significant in modelling the whole society and we have to make wise choices while choosing the type of TV shows to watch. Besides, I learnt to apply the APA citation style in my essay. I also understand the necessity to interpret the data received from various sources and incorporating the information into my comparison essay. It is important to choose the right information to include in my comparison essay.
Pictures
Pictures
Bart's Homework
Surface to Air
Group Picture
Group Picture
Assignment 1 Part 2
Achievement
We were assigned to visit an art gallery name TAKSU. Zhong Jian is my partner and we viewed the paintings one by one. We chose two artworks which are "Surfaces to Air" and "Bart's Homework". A list of information was provided by Mr Woon and we described the artworks based on the principles and elements of design. We determined the correct principles and elements of design in the artworks. We included a 300 words conclusion and followed by analysia of each painting. We took photographs while we were paying a visit in the art gallery. The photographs were attached in the assignment.You should not be in a haste to choose the paintings until you have seen all of them. Once you have taken a look at all of them, select two paintings which your group will read and interpret. To do this, please make use of what you have learned through class lectures and discussions. We compared the texture, styles and materials used by both artworks. Constant research was conducted on the analysis of artwork.
Aim
- To describe the artwork in terms of its literal content and artistic elements.
- To analyze the artwork in terms of how the artist used the principles of design to manipulate the content to provoke meaning.
- To interpret the work on the basis of what they have already discovered about the work in the first two steps. They will consider not only the literal descriptions but also the emotional content and the use of symbols and allegories to arrive at the message or meaning in the work.
- To make a judgement about the work's worth based on the information they have gathered about the work. Judgments must be supported by what was learned through the "reading" process as they apply to established criteria.
- To cite references, if they have referred to any, according to the APA citation method accurately and effectively.
Reflection
In this project, I appreciate the chance for me to visit the art gallery and able to analyze the artworks of my own choice. I learnt the methods of researching for information based on the principle and elements of design. I gained a clearer understanding for various principles of design which are helpful in my further design development. Besides, I learnt the concepts of each artist by reading the brochure provided by the art gallery. I learnt the correct application of APA citation method.
Assignment 2
Achievement
In a group of four, we were required to choose a type of traditional trades in Klang. My group members are Jocelyn Tan, Kee Zhong Jian and Tan Jia-Qi. We picked the traditional coffee shops in Klang for our research report. The two coffee shops are Chong Kok Kopitiam and Cheong Foh Kopitiam. We traveled to Klang by KTM train under the guidance of Mr Nat. Chong Kok Kopitiam was our first destination and we tasted its bread with kaya spread. We conducted interview session with both owners of the shops. The questions and answers by the shop owners were recorded. The research report was divided into various subtopics for further explanation. Research report was compiled with appropriate cover page, content page and reference list. Footer and header were added.
Aim
- To attempt to answer the chosen topic/question
- To use appropriate methodology in obtaining primary and secondary information related to the chosen topic/question.
- To understand the basics steps involved in preparing an academic research report and apply APA style citation accurately and effectively in the research report.
- To present the findings of your research in a formal presentation.
- To understand and apply suitable rhetorical strategies to a hypothetical target audience as specified to each.
- To identify the key issues in the question and explain them clearly and logically.
- To demonstrate the ability to prepare questionnaires and interviews to obtain information about the topic.
- To demonstrate the ability to analyse and synthesize information and compile them in the report.
- To communicate the relevant ideas and analysis in clear, logical and appropriate academic English.
- To select and present infomation clearly and appropriately to one’s target audience.
Achievement
I learnt the correct method to generate date by conducting interviews. Besides, I learnt the analytic skills and
I was able to prepare questionnaires and interviews to obtain information about the topic. Besides that i was able to analyse the information and compile them in to the research papers.I was able to put in clear, logical and appropriate academic English into the research papers.Lastly, i was able to select and present information clearly and appropriately to one’s target audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment