Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Culture and Civilizations

Assignment 1

We are required to do a journal and model for China Civilization. We were required to create a journal with our own sketches and detailed description. A 20 pages of journal was created. Zhong Jian and I worked in a team to create the model. The theme we chose was Phoenix to display the culture of China as it is a clear symbol of China civilization. Research was conducted based on various aspects, such as historical background, architecture, culture and science and development. Sketches were done accordingly with correct techniques. Phoenix is a symbolic icon for China culture and thus, we chose to display our timeline on the wings of Phoenix. We used ribbons to connect each sector of the wing in order to create a flip effect on both sides of the wings.


The detail of the Phoenix model.

The detail of the Phoenix model.
The structure of wings on both sides of the model. 
The front view of model.
Design page of the journal 
Sketches of Shih Huang Di with explanation
Stippling technique for the sketches of Terra Cotta Army.
Roof sketches of Chinese Architecture. 
Facade of The Forbidden City.

Reflection 


From this assignment, I learnt the description of historical development of human civilization. It is important for us to develop skills of interpreting data. It is essential to present the documentation in the proper layout. Development of presentation skills were achieve. From this assignment, western and eastern civilizations provided an overview of cultural and social background which is informative for the design process in the future. I learnt that to design a great building, is to have great understanding of the social background of a culture and to adapt well with the need and requirement of the client. My general knowledge of China has improved. The information collected enabled a greater understanding in the rise and fall of the China Civilizations. Communication skill was developed as I learnt the correct method to communicate messages with my partner. 

Assignment 2

For Project 2, we were required to produce a video which is 20 to 25 minutes. Different tasks were given to each group respectively. My group which consist of myself, Tan Jia- Qi, Jocelyn Tan Wan Wei, Tam Jhung Leung, Kee Zhong Jian, Samuel Teh Chiat Lin and Carra Chin Pui Man, were given the specific civilization: The Other Boleyn Girl. The video had to be based on various themes such as myths, legends of civilization, archaeology and science. As for the individual work, we were required to produce a journal of our own character that would demonstrate the understanding of the elements. In this play, I was Anne Boleyn, which is the sister of Mary Boleyn. 

Pictures

Front cover of my individual journal
Sketches of Anne Boleyn with description.


Sketches of Anne Boleyn
Attention to King Henry VIII

The Rise of Anne Boleyn

Physical Appearances of Anne Boleyn.


The Poster of our Video Project.
Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Screenshot 4

Screenshot 5

Reflection

From this project, I gained new skills in video shooting as we need to choose the best scene and to visualize the scene. To have good coordination between team members is important. In this project, I also learnt to be creative in sourcing the materials needed. For example, we contacted our friends who participated in various play and we managed to borrow the costumes from them. Creativity skills are developed as we need to create a better visual presentation through video shooting. Besides, I also learnt that planning is a crucial part for the project. I learnt that we had to plan ahead before shooting by drawing the scenes into boxes so that we would not miss out any scenes. Patience is also a key for the whole video shooting to run smooth. Coordination and well communication skills were developed among the members.

Assignment 3


For our final project, we were required to produce an A5 graphical coffee table book based on the themes given, which in my case was Food Culture. Based on these themes, we were then supposed to determine a concept which we had to abide to throughout the entire book, and my choice was Dessert. We need to set a route for us to take photographs and each restaurant has to fit the theme of our choice. The photography session was separated into three different days. My choice of locations are TWG Tea Saloon, Dreamz Cafe, Tmn Desa Cendol Stall, Jpop Popsicles and Wondermilk Cafe. My concept was to capture the joyous moment when people were having their dessert.

Pictures
Introduction Page












Design of Dust Cover
Cover Design of Photo Book
Introduction of Author
Compilation of Journal

Reflection

From this project, I learnt to be more observant while taking photos and be alert to the scenes that I wanted to shoot. Photography is a moment of now or never, I learnt that taking initiative is the key of taking nice photos. I learnt to be open and outspoken to speak to the customers of the restaurant. To choose the right time and right spot is also a key for the project to be a successful one. From this project, I enhanced my skills of interpreting my own concept and to convert the visual image in my mind to something which is concrete and presentable. While compiling the photo book, I learnt the method of arranging the layout of photos to show simplicity. It is essential to put the attention on the photos and less text would be better. Appropriate font and font size were one of the elements while arranging the layout of the photo book. I also learnt that documentation of data is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment